- Article published at:
- Article author: Durbl -Mila
- Article comments count: 0
If you enjoy cooking, packing lunches, or storing leftovers, you'll understand the importance of reliable food storage containers. Food storage containers are essential kitchen items in various sizes, materials, shapes, and designs. Choosing an eco-friendly, durable, and well-suited container or bag to your needs is your best bet. We've compiled this guide to help you save time and ease confusion. Keep reading!
Safety of Food Storage Containers
When choosing food storage containers, consider the following safety aspects:
● Material safety: Ensure that the containers are made from food-grade safe materials, avoiding those with harmful chemicals, phthalates, or lead.
● Heat resistance: Ensure they are heat-resistant and labelled as microwave or oven-safe. Some plastics may melt or release chemicals when heated.
● Sealability: Containers with good seals are preferable as they keep food fresh longer and prevent leaks and contamination.
● Freezer suitability: Ensure they are freezer-safe and capable of withstanding low temperatures without cracking.
● Easy to clean: Containers should be easy to clean, without intricate designs that can harbour bacteria. convenience.
● Transparency: Seeing the contents without opening the container reduces the chances of forgetting food and letting it spoil.
Plastic Food Storage Bags or Containers
● Lightweight and easy to carry and store.
● Durable, less prone to breaking or shattering.
● Generally more affordable compared to glass, metal, or silicone containers.
● May contain chemicals that can leach into food, especially at high temperatures.
● Poor heat resistance, may melt or deform at high temperatures.
● Sealing performance of plastic containers may be subpar, affecting food freshness.
● Prone to staining and absorbing odors, challenging to clean thoroughly.
If you genuinely prefer plastic containers for their affordability and durability, opt for BPA-free options to minimize health and environmental risks. Avoid using plastic containers in high-temperature environments like microwaves or ovens to reduce the release of microplastics into your food.
Glass Food Storage Containers
● Glass is a very safe material, free from harmful chemicals like BPA.
● Non-absorbent glass surfaces do not retain food odors or stains, making them easy to clean.
● Glass containers are typically heat-resistant and safe for use in microwaves, ovens, and dishwashers.
● Environmentally friendly and sustainable, as glass containers can be reused.
● Fragile and prone to breaking if dropped.
● Heavier than plastic or silicone, making them less portable.
● Higher cost compared to plastic or silicone containers.
● Some types of glass containers may be sensitive to rapid temperature changes, leading to breakage.
Glass food storage containers are favoured by those seeking durability and sustainability. They also do not stain or retain any odours, a significant reason many choose them over plastic. However, they are more prone to breaking.
Silicone Food Storage Bags or Containers
● Eco-friendly and reusable, promoting environmental sustainability.
● Heat and cold-resistant, suitable for freezing and microwave heating.
● Excellent sealing capabilities, keeping food fresh longer.
● Flexible and space-saving, as silicone containers can be folded when empty.
● Chemically resistant, less likely to absorb odors or stains compared to plastics.
● Generally higher in price compared to plastics or fabric materials.
● Occasionally challenging to clean thoroughly, especially when dealing with oils and pigments.
● May not be as scratch-resistant as hard plastics or glass.
In summary, silicone food storage bags or containers are popular for their eco-friendliness, durability, and versatility. However, for those who are sensitive to slight odour retention, they may not be the ideal choice.
Still, choosing silicone food storage containers has many benefits, allowing you to overlook minor drawbacks:
1. Non-toxic materials, BPA-Free.
2. Multi-functional, safe for use in the temperature range of -40°C to 230°C, safe for refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave.
3. Durability can be reused multiple times.
4. Aesthetically pleasing: Silicone containers come in various designs and colours, making them an excellent addition to any kitchen decor.
1. Do not turn the durable bag inside out.
2. To air dry, stand the bag up on a cup or mug.
3. Wash with warm, soapy water.
4. Eliminate smells by soaking in a 50/50 water and vinegar mixture.
5. Gently scrub with a brush to remove built-up debris.
Why Choose Durbl Silicone Food Containers and Bags?
Our food storage sets are made from food-grade platinum silicone, safe for dishwasher use, suitable for heating in the oven and freezing in the refrigerator, and versatile for various purposes. They come in different sizes and designs to meet your kitchen and lifestyle needs.
If you're interested in eco-friendly and sustainable kitchen aids, Durbl silicone bags and containers are your perfect choice.